What is a ship chandler? what is ship chandling?
A ship chandler is a person (or sometimes a group/agency) that deals on supplies of required commodities for a shipping vessel and its crew. A ship chandler supplies all the necessary and necessary commodities to a ship when at the port.
The job of ship chandlers is not new but has reached its peak in the last two decades. Nowadays the business of ship chandling services has become a cardinal aspect of all the ports and shipping industries around the globe.
Today a ship chandler’s role is outstanding, as he/she not only provide essential commodities such as ropes, sail cloths, etc. but also attends to other requirements such as maintenance tools, food supplies, chemical compounds, cleaning equipment, and many other items.
Importance of Ship Chandler Services
This section is going to answer your question of ‘what does a ship chandler do’
Ship Chandlers play a job of high esteem and serve multipurpose in a ship. Following are some importance of Ship Chandelling Services:
- Ship chandlers supply all the necessary commodities (like food, oil, lubricants, spare parts, etc.) to the ship prior to their usage.
- Ship chandlers are not there to only meet the most essential requirement by the captain or crew, but they must cater to all the minute nuances of the requirements of the ship and its crew.
- ship chandlers do not only help in supplying commodities that are required by the ship and its crew but also help the new buyer in buying the ship by providing the buyer with exclusive details of the exact condition of the ship. Thus, save a buyer from experiencing a great loss in buying a damaged ship.
- Along with supplying commodities ship chandlers are also expected to provide certain services like repair and maintenance services, cleaning arrangements, etc.
- Ship chandlers provide their effective services in both cases viz. when the ship is anchored at the port and when the ship is on its voyage. More precautions should be taken for the supply in the latter case. During voyages ship may require foodstuff for the rest of the journey, fuel or gasoline for the ship, necessary spare parts, or repair services; all these requirements are handled with intensive care by the Ship Chandlers.
As the Ship chandlers have to serve an exclusive purpose on board they become a crucial part of the shipping industry. The requirements of ship chandlers have peaked to higher levels from the very beginning of the shipping industry.
The job of ship chandler is of high esteem and reverence.
With the technological advancement in the development of shipping vessels, the requirements of a ship have grown significantly.
Thus, the responsibility of ship chandlers has also witnessed substantial growth.
Why you need a ship chandler
No one other than ship suppliers or marine contractors can be more familiar with shipping requirements, so they can serve as good ship chandlers.
Though the role has transformed, a ship chandler is still one of the most important necessities when one thinks about shipping and naval vessels.
A ship and its crew cannot be assured of quality commodities required in a ship without the services of a ship chandler, in a world of changing thoughts, actions and priorities, a ship chandler’s responsibility and duty, however, has managed to remain very constant and absolutely relevant.
The Ship Chandlers are an integral part of the Shipping Industry and are single entities that serve all the requirements of a shipowner, captain, and crew.
Meet the best ship chandling company/agency in Nigeria
Kingshipping trading has been awarded the best ship chandling company by Nigeria ship chandlers association also the best ship chandlers of the year by Nigeria and Angola eastern shipping.
We are one of the leading ship chandling agencies in Nigeria and also among the top ship chandlers in Lagos as well as the best ship chandler in West Africa with a ship chandler license.
We provide full world-class ship chandling solutions as we are on a journey to providing satisfaction to the needs of our customers and clients by providing high-quality services in the areas of maintenance, food supplies, chemical compounds, cleaning equipment, and many other items.
With our ship chandling services, you can get the full definition of BON VOYAGE.
To learn more about our investment plans or any other shipping/maritime services, please contact us.